Friday, May 17, 2013

It's a dirty job but...

I have been a bad blogger lately! SHAME ON ME!
But I have been REALLY busy! So busy in fact, that MY projects have all come to a virtual stand still! But I have been learning new things too! I've learned how to lay hard wood floors, how to use the circular saw, and also how to hang drywall (although I don't think I have the strength to do that alone)
We did take the time last week to go out and purchase the "ingredients" for the soil in my raised beds. For my 4-  3'x6' garden beds we purchased 3 big cubes of  peat moss. This helps hold moisture, and I LOVE to use peat in my garden. In addition to helping the roots stay moist longer, the dirt doesn't seem to get as hard as a lot of garden soils do. I also purchased compost. The one I have commonly bought is composted manure. NO-it does not smell like manure, so don't worry about that, but it is a nice dark soil with a natural built-in fertilizer, after all, it WAS manure! And I also bought top soil. I never use top soil alone, in my experience it is always hard as a rock! I mix these 3 ingredients to make my own rich soil that my plants really seem to like.
In my 2 raised beds I made last year, I didn't even buy the top soil, I just used the composted manure and peat. My tomatoes REALLY took off in that mixture!  Off 4 tomato plants, I canned over 48 pints of stewed tomatoes. Not too shabby if I do say so myself! :)
The other day I took a short inventory of the tomato seeds I'd sown off my tomato plants from last year and I am up to 109 in small pots. There are still more in the raised bed to transplant into small pots so I can give them to friends and family, and since there are so many, I will probably also sell some. I plan to plant some over by the chicken run as well, to give the chickens a treat from every now and then!




No comments:

Post a Comment