Saturday, March 30, 2013

Egg Crazy and Sallie Lund Bread

Well, since today is the day before Easter, and we have YET to decorate eggs, I am doing some major baking.

"Baking? Why?" You might ask...well, I will tell you!

When I was a child my mom stumbled upon a craft for confetti filled eggs. You have to hollow out the egg...(or blow) out the inside of the egg. Most years, we put a decent size hole in one end of the egg & pour out the innards. Making a hole big enough to put the confetti inside once empty.
We then decorate the eggs as usual. And when dry, fill with confetti and paste a piece of tissue paper over the hole.

Then on Easter Sunday we have an egg fight. We throw eggs at each other and smash them on heads etc and a good time is had by all. (if you want to have an egg fight-be sure your confetti is biodegradable)
Since I didn't start early saving eggs like I typically try to do, I need to get 2 dozen eggs ready for my children to dye. So today I chose to make some Sally Lund bread, because it takes 6 eggs in the recipe. So I've doubled the recipe. That gets me 12 eggs. We got 5 eggs saved before today, so I MAY make 1 more batch. It does freeze well, so no worries about anything going bad.

I think I will be making Sallie Lund bread more regularly when my chickens start producing eggs.

So for those of you interested, or those who have chickens and occasionally have more eggs than you can handle I will share the recipe.
I got this recipe from my grandma who makes this bread regularly. I do not know the source of where she got the recipe though...

Sally Lund Bread
 Makes 2 loafs

Preheat oven to 325 Farenheit

1 stick of butter
6 TBSP sugar
6 eggs beaten
2 cups milk
1 tsp salt
6 tsp baking powder
4 cups all purpose flour. sifted.


Cream the sugar & Butter, add the salt, and milk. Sift in flour and baking powder.

Bake at 325 for 30-35 min.

*If you use self rising flour omit the salt & baking powder.


Today I tried using whole wheat white flour in this recipe, and I ALMOST forgot the milk...so It looks a little crazy now, it took twice as long as it should have to bake through AND it didn't rise as nicely as it usually does, making it more dense than I am used to, the flavor is still good though & I know we'll eat it anyway. Typically this bread turns out to be nice, light an eggy.
So with my results today I would HIGHLY recommend sticking with the all purpose white flour, or self rising flour.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment