Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Introductions

Hello! My name is Kim. I have many interests that keep me busy, including crochet, gardening, cooking, baking,photography, and more recently canning. I have started this blog to share with you some things I have learned, or am currently in the process of learning, in regards to my gardening and canning hobbies.

As we all know, the economy isn't what it used to be, and some of us are struggling financially. Since I moved into this house 8 years ago, I have always had a summer vegetable garden. I have tried many things, some with success, others without. This year, I am going to try to step things up a notch, and work toward an urban homestead type environment on my property. Now, I do live in a town, but my lot is ALMOST a half an acre. (This includes the house) I have found many blog sites that are inspiring me to move forward with this plan, as well as many pages on Facebook as well, and once I get permission-I will share these with you.

In the past my big summer crops have been tomato and zucchini.  These are my most common success stories. Last year my 4 Better Boy tomato plants gave me enough tomatoes to provide me with approximately 40 pints of stewed tomatoes when I canned them. My zucchini did not make it last year, as it was the first time I tried to grow them in a container. In past years, I have had zucchinis the size of footballs in diameter, and maybe 12-18 inches in length, now I've heard that letting them get that large suffers the flavor, but I have no complaints. AND Zucchini that size provide plenty of shredded zucchini to use in zucchini bread, and nice large seeds to use next year.

As this blog continues I will share with you MY progress in my garden, including building raised beds in which to grow the plants in. I will share new things I learn, either from reading, or trial and error. And in general, share my love for gardening.

I hope you will enjoy following me in my gardening adventures!

Here are a few books that I am currently reading to further educate myself on my current project. I highly recommend them!


      

No comments:

Post a Comment