Thursday, March 21, 2013

Hurry Up Spring!

Even though it is technically spring, it seems like winter is never going to leave and I am getting a SERIOUS case of cabin fever. So much so, that I bought a bunch of seeds and a bag of dirt in Feburary to try my hand at winter sowing my garden this year. IF it works out for me, I'll already have some tomato, bean, cucumber, zucchini, watermelon, and many more plants started for the season!

A few years ago, my hubby had a customer tell him about a website that she used to plant her seeds in the winter. The web site offers tips on how to sew your seeds in the winter, what to sew, seed exchanges, and a lot more! So if I've peaked your interest go visit them at http://www.wintersown.org to expand on what I will tell you!

Basically to winter sow your seeds you need a "greenhouse" container to plant in, the most common one I've seen on the site are milk jugs that are cut open on a hinge, so you can add dirt, plant your seeds, then tape the container closed. Make sure you have put drainage holes in the bottom, and in the lids to allow some moisture to gain entry into the containers to water the plants.

Once planted and closed remember to label what you planted in the container. You can then place them outdoors, away from your pets, or where they may blow away, but where the sun can reach them. Do not worry about them getting covered in snow. it is necessary for cold stratification of the seeds.

Here is a blog that gives you step-by-step instructions to do this yourself if you're interested. A garden for the house.

I have very few milk jugs that I planted in, but I had a TON of water bottles. On all the blog sites, I have not seen anything about using the small bottles to plant in, but I just HAD to try it! So if it doesn't work, I'm only out about $10 or so, for dirt and seeds, so I'm not too worried about it! I was a little late putting out my seeds, as a lot of people recommend sowing your seeds on the winter solstice, but since it was so cold here I didn't think a month would matter all that much! And shortly after I made up all my containers we got a LOVELY snow storm. I will let you know how/if they turn out!
"What can can I sow in my containers for winter sowing?" you may ask...Well I did too. Here is where I went to find out! garden web.com

SO, HURRY UP SPRING WEATHER! We are itching to start our gardens!
Until then....research and houseplants will have to keep me busy!
Happy Gardening!




          

No comments:

Post a Comment