Saturday, April 6, 2013

Potato Procrastination

So, according to my local seed store lady...I was supposed to plant my potatoes on Good Friday. But I didn't. Since I was planning on planting in raised containers, that I haven't purchased yet, that kind of deterred the actual planting of the potatoes.
BUT today I found another method that I'd like to try instead of planting in trash cans, and I THINK this method may be a little cheaper to set up.

Again, thanks to one of the other blogs I subscribe to One Hundred Dollars a Month, I have learned something new. They had 2 pages dedicated to making potato towers, for growing potatoes.
diy-how-to-build-a-potato-tower  and how-to-build-a-potato-tower

Here are some pictures from the one hundred dollars a month website of how they look...
 And another once the potatoes start growing...

I think buying a roll of wire would be more cost effective than buying a bunch of trash cans, and then I don't have to worry about the plastic, chemical leaching into my food.
I will post pictures once I DO get them made.

I am planning a trip out to the hardware store tomorrow to buy material to finish building the chicken coop & attached run, including the paint for my coop...AND will be buying material to build my new raised bed garden, since the chickens are getting my old garden to run around in...(the neighbor trees shade the area too much to garden there anymore anyway) So I will be adding the wire to build my potato towers into this shopping list....Gotta love getting a tax refund.


No comments:

Post a Comment