Monday, April 22, 2013

Updates...

We are still working on the chicken coop, and the chicks are about a month old now. They are running out of space in the indoor brooder. The bonus is, at least this group of gals gets along together better than the Buff Brahmas that started fighting so we had to move them out early and then my dogs killed them...


In an update to my sweet potato blog sweet-potato-starters The slips are coming along very nicely.  Now I need to get the space in the yard ready to plant them in...I don't know if I'll be planting them in a container, or a potato tower, or just in one of the raised beds that I still need to build.


In an update to my planting peas on the 17th of March eager-to-plantpeas-and-potatoes. They are coming up nicely. And just after they started coming up we got our first frost warning...I had a mini panic attack on weather to cover them or not, did a little internet research and found this posting how-low-of-a-temperature-can-peas-stand which made me feel better knowing I'd missed the first night of frost on my peas without a problem. I am going to have to thin them out a bit here soon. 


I also did a little experiment when I started cleaning out my tomato bed from last year. There were a few tomatoes left on the vine over the winter, and I decided to sprinkle the seeds into the bed to see if they would grow or not. I placed a couple of windows over the raised bed, and then just left them be...OH BOY! to I have tomatoes now! 


 I scooped out a tight clump one day to figure out what they were, and saw little tomato seeds in with the root, so I gently separated the plants and planted them into a cardboard egg carton to see if they'd survive. And since that day I have also transplanted 36 more of the larger plants into larger peat pots, and I will need to do it again today, as the plants are starting to  touch the windows they're getting so big. 



Our fence is in the home-run stage, having less to complete than has already been completed, so that feels nice. We will have to stain it, but that can wait a short while until the other projects get done. The yard  also has finally woken back up from its winter slumber, so now we also desperately need to mow the lawn. So these two items are on the to-do list for today..


Have a great day everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment